Thursday 9 October 2008

Too young for osteoporosis?

I had a dexa (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry) bone scan today to check my bone density. Mr Marston, the consultant of the fracture clinic at St Mary's, referred me in the light of my "history" - steroids at 18 with the Hodgkins chemo, early menopause from the breast cancer 9 years ago.

The phone call to ask me to book an appointment was quite amusing - she said I'd been referred to her department to book a scan, but given my age she was a bit confused as I was - wait for it - too young for osteoporosis. Thats too young - not often you hear that past 40 about much.

I explained and she was happy. Such joy :-)

I did have one through Barts a while ago but we must be talking at least five years ago. That one was fine, so it will be interesting to see if there is any change.

I mentioned it to Tim (Tim Hagon, my personal trainer) and he said weights work is good for fighting osteoporosis. Which I normally do at part of my lymphoedema exercises, and will get back to as soon as this cast comes off.

No comments: