Thursday 30 October 2008

Managing swelling without MLD

Two weeks since the cast came off, and all things considered, I think I should be fairly pleased with progress dealing with the lymphoedema swelling.

There was, and still is, some pain from time to time, exactly as Mr Marston in the fracture clinic warned. Nothing to worry about though, having been forewarned. - actually oddly reassuring. But its late, and I am tired, so let me get to the two points I really want to write about before I give up and go to bed.

My visit to Barts was productive. Sonia seems to be in charge of all the nursing services in the West Wing and knows her stuff when it comes to Lymphoedema. We had a good talk, and she completely understood that I'd just been really scared the day before when the cast came off. She was pleased with the state of the skin - the showers and the moisturising the last 24 hours had transformed its condition, it had recovered remarkably well.

But it was still a lot more swollen... after measuring, I needed a size III Mediven sleeve, rather than my usual size I, and I needed one with an integrated hand: partly because the hand was swollen but also because the remaining haematoma around the wrist where the break was proved awkward for straight sleeves (without hands). She also ordered me a separate glove with fingers, which proved useful, even though by the time it arrived my fingers had gone down.

Of course, what everyone except we patients forgets is that any glove appliance, whether it's an integrated one or separate, causes pain in that sensitive little area at the base of the thumb, and I have to be honest, it is driving me mad. I have - or had - a coping routine that meant I wore my sleeves in bed most nights, but with this level of swelling I needed to wear a glove as well or be damned by even more swelling than I went to bed with (in my hand, not my arm, obviously). However, by rotating my old sleeves and the new finger glove with the new integrated sleeve and several nights "off", I have managed to cope to the extent that I went back to see Sonia yesterday and persuaded her to let me have a size II sleeve (its' still integrated though).

Excercising has been a much more positive affair, and that brings me to my second point about the Physiotherapy appointment on Tuesday... Tim (my personal trainer) would be very pleased to know we are on the right track, and the physio was very impressed with the degree of strength and mobility I have already regained - a real positive for having kept up the training while the cast was on. However, there are three very important learnings at this point:
  1. The use of a hand piece during exercise and other flashpoint times is crucial:
  2. The muscles need to be gradually brought back to strength so they can once again be the proper drivers (actually I call them my "engines" or "pumps") for pushing the lymph out;
  3. Proper exercise - including but not limited to compliance exercise - is what has helped me accelerate the healing process, without doubt. I just have work on following through with that so I can bring the weights back into my compliance exercises as soon as possible.

I shall keep you posted.

One piece of advice though... keep pushing the boundaries. There is a very strong school of thought that advocates avoiding physical stress. I understand the point, but its not the whole point, and if that's all you stick to, believe me you will be more prone to problems not less.

More on that some other time. Very tired now, time for Bedfordshire.

1 comment:

Ruiz said...

I am here to tell you about a natural remedy that is
guaranteed to make you wonder why your doctor didn't tell
you about it. Then, on the other hand, it is pretty obvious
why your doctor didn't, because that's not his job, is
it? But, seriously, promise me you won't get too angry
with your health practitioner, it's really not their
fault. They can only practice what they're told to
practice, right?
When your health is at risk there's no time for Tom
foolery, you've got to get down to the cause and nip it
in the bud. So you've been suffering from painful gout
attacks have you? Well, allow me to give you a new
perspective on the solution to what plagues you I was once in your shoe until my college friend introduce me to Dr Itua herbal center which cure my hiv/herpes,Lymphedema, after drinking it for two weeks as instructed, Dr Itua is an africa herbal doctor who has natural power to cure the following diseases: Herpes,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Fibroid,
Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma. Trigeminal nerve ,Asthma,Allergic.
As Dr Itua assure me that all those disease below that he guaranty 100% permanent cure to all these disease I believe Dr Itua so much because he help me cure my hiv/ herpes which has being my burden in life so I promised Dr Itua that I will testify about his work online after curing me and that is what I'm doing here so please if you are suffering from those diseases do not hesitate to write Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or chat with him on whatsapp:+2348149277967